Welcome!

My journey switching from store-bought to homemade, natural products for the home and body.

Saturday

Homemade Peppermint Gel Toothpaste

I have tried so many toothpaste recipes that I found on the internet and I couldn't stand any of them.  Some were too salty, some were too sweet and others felt like I was brushing my teeth with sand.  I took out a bunch of different ingredients and started experimenting.  First came the vegetable glycerin.  Vegetable glycerin can be used orally to eliminate halitosis, it is very helpful with periodontal disease and it eliminates bacterial colonies. What is it like?  It is odorless, naturally sweet and brings a sense of warmness to your mouth.  From there, I added some baking soda, which we all know is a great whitener and cleanser.  Then came the peppermint extract for that minty fresh feeling.  I wanted more of a gel texture, so, being the cook that I am, I raided my pantry for a thickening agent and decided to add some unflavored gelatine to the mixture.  The results?  Natural, husband-approved toothpaste that not only has a great taste but kills bacteria, whitens, eliminates halitosis and helps with periodontal disease.  The consistency is not as thick as store-bought but it does the job very well.  Now go show off those pearly whites!  Oh, and don't forget to floss before you brush!


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c vegetable glycerin
  • 2 tsp baking soda 
  • 2 tsp unflavored gelatine, such as Knox
  • 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract, or more to taste 
Directions:

Heat all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until the mixture begins to foam.  Remove from heat.  

Cover and cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or until the mixture gels.  Whisk and store in an airtight container. 

1 comment: